Monday, January 08, 2007

Plan of attack!


I had a brainstorm about how to fix a problem I was having with All Bottled Up last night. I was treating myself to reading Julianne MacLean's Surrender to a Scoundrel. I was trying to figure out what it was about published authors books that differed from my own. It then hit me that I don't normally have any subplots. Or at least very minimalistic sub plots.

In Bottled, I have a subplot of the heroine's friend winning the lottery. I was thinking it would be a good tie in if I wanted to write a second book. The problem is I never fully flushed out that storyline. Seems really obvious now, but until last night it never hit me. So as I tackle my revisions this week I now know what I need to do. Flesh out the subplot and make it have a direct impact on the main plot.

I feel so much better now. :)

7 comments:

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Good luck tying it all in!

Amy Ruttan said...

Subplots, ah the dreaded subplots. I know there a pain. Good luck with fleshing it all out.

Unknown said...

Thanks Angela and Amy! I love a good subplot, but I guess I'm just scared I won't pull it off. The only way is to try I guess.

Wylie Kinson said...

Subplots... this is why I write shorts and novellas. I can't figure out the whole sub-plot thing.
Work out the kinks on yours, then you can help me when it comes time for mine :)
LOL

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I have trouble thinking through the subplots at an early stage too. Usually those parts get added in later...and of course...many little things have to change.

Glad you found the roadblock! Good luck with the changes.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

I've always handled several "threads" at once--it's just the way my brain works. But if I start thinking "sub-plots" specifically, and concentrating too much on any certain piece, everything gets all tangled up on me. If I think too much, it all falls apart.

Unknown said...

Don't you just love it when you figure something like that out? Even when you didn't even know that's what you had to learn? I think it's in our subconscious just waiting for the right trigger to make us pay attention.