Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What do you mean there are too many ANDs??

It is interesting to think about the major influences on your writing life. I have been writing for as long as I can remember. That's a very common thing for many writers to say. I had my first publication at the age of seven. I submitted a short story I wrote to the school creative writing book and it was accepted. I was thrilled! Everyone will love it! I'll be famous!

When I asked a friend of mine who was in grade 3 what she thought of it she told me it was "good, but you use the word and too much". I was devastated. It was perfect just as it was. How dare she say that about my story...and...and...

I got over it :). I take criticism about my writing quite a bit better now. Whenever I listen to a critique on something I've written, and I start to get my back up, I always think back to Elizabeth and her comment. It was true. And my writing got better for her comment. Though and is still my favorite word.


Another huge influence on my writing comes from theatre. I've been told I write dialogue quite well. I have great timing and flow when my characters speak. I am convinced this comes from the years I spent in high school and university theatre. When you can hear the rhythm of the words in your head it is so much easier to write. People don't believe me when I say I actually hear my character's voice when I'm writing. But I do. I'm hoping the medication and therapy will help with that, but until then my dialogue is benefiting!

3 comments:

RC said...

that's great that you write dialogue well...sometimes I feel like dialogue writing either flows and happens naturally or it's a complete disaster.

and...and...oh nothing.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Sometimes dialogue is the only thing I *can* write. But it usually helps break any creative blocks I'm having on any given day. Now if I can just get the rest of the story to flow as easily, I'll be set.

Maureen McGowan said...

I like writing dialogue, too... And I also think it may have something to do with High School and other amateur theatre...

And I like the word and, too. Used sparingly, mulitple ands can have more punch than the comma. :-)