Monday, September 04, 2006

I had planned to work on my WIP this weekend, but that quickly turned into painting my daughters' bedrooms. Now my hands are so sore it's hard to type. But the rooms look great!

One of the hardest challenges of the unpublished author is to find time between life and writing. It was hard to pass up the opportunity to work on my story, but yet I didn't have any other time for the next little while to do the rooms. As usual, my children won out in that debate. :)

Finding balance when you're unpublished is hard. I know I'm not alone in that challenge. I used to get up at 5:30 am and write for an hour and a half before work. I haven't done that in a while, but I think I may start doing that again. Consistency is the key. But you have to make sure you can keep at it.

I think for myself a more reasonable goal is to write a minimum of an hour a day. If I get more done, fantastic. But at the very least I can squeeze the hour in. My lunch hours give me at least that time.

2 comments:

Maureen McGowan said...

If I had to write at 5:30 am... I'm afraid to say I proably wouldn't write...
Who knows... Maybe now the bug has caught me... Would probably be 1:00 am for me, though, not 5:30 am.

Unknown said...

Hi Maureen.

I'm one of those strange people who stays up till 12:30 am but still wakes early. I'd love to sleep in some day :). I've tried writing later at night, but I'm too tired after having worked all day. The ideas flow free early :)