Thursday, September 28, 2006

Alpha Actors

I'd like to start my ode to the alpha male with a classic. He's played some of the most memorable alpha males in movies, from Han Solo to Indiana Jones. Harrison Ford has been a draw for me to see a movie since I was seven and first saw Star Wars. The ending of The Empire Strikes Back still gets me. They say Ford suggested the "I know" line when because he didn't want to come back for another taping of the scene. Personally, I think he knew the character so well he realized the line that was originally written wouldn't work ("Just remember that, Leia, because I'll be back.")

He was fascinating to watch: smooth, confident, strong. He knew what (or who) he wanted and didn't stop till he got it.



Nazis? No problem.
Army of stormtroopers? Where's my gun.
One armed man? Let me jump off this cliff first, then I'll get to him.

Characters like Han and Indy had wit and charm, but they also had courage and heart. A scoundrel that a good woman can reform is usually a winner. Add in good looks and charm and you have yourself a powerful alpha.

1 comment:

Kelly Boyce said...

I remember the first time I saw this movie I was I think 14 years old and I couldn't decide if I wanted to grow up and marry Indiana Jones, or grow up and BE Indiana Jones.