Monday, October 02, 2006

Alpha Books

Now, I'm the first to admit, I have a narrow scope of authors that I read. When I find someone I love, I immediately go out and buy everything they've ever written. This is an expensive habit, so I have to be careful. After looking at some of my favorite alpha males of TV and movies, I'd like to talk about some of my favorite literary alphas.

Jeremy - Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld Series

Okay, I know Clay is the hot bloody sexy male of the Pack, but I have a thing for Jeremy. He is literary the alpha male of the werewolf pack in Kelley's Otherworld books. When I found out he is going to be the love interest of the next book to come out in May, I think I actually squealed. And I'm not one for squealing. Jeremy is strong, devoted to his family, yet has an intensely personal side that no one seems to reach. People would do anything for him, not because of coercion but out of love and respect. If you are looking for an example of how to make a strong secondary character who can be an alpha without taking over the story, take a look at Bitten. If you're not hooked by the end, I'll kiss a werewolf.

Wulfric - Mary Balogh's Slightly series

When I started reading Mary's Slightly series, I wasn't sure what to make of Wulfric. He seemed cold and impersonal, forced to be in charge of his family without really wanting to. As Mary explores the lives and loves of each of the siblings she leaves hints as to the real character of the Duke. By the time I got to his story, the last in the series, I couldn't wait. Of course it didn't hurt that his love interest was named Christine! I have read and reread that book four or five times I'm sure. The way his character grows from book one to six taught me a lot as a writer, and kept my interest as a reader. One of my favorite series.

Well, that's all for today. I'll take a look at a few more of my favorite literary alphas later this week. Who are some of your?

2 comments:

Kelly Boyce said...

Oh Wulfric for sure - every book of the Slightly series I kept waiting and waiting for his book. He's one of my all time faves. Although oddly, I pictured him as blonde, not dark-haired.

Unknown said...

Oh no, I always saw him as dark. But I have a serious thing for dark men...