Monday, November 20, 2006

NaNoWriMo - Day 20


I finished up my first draft this morning, and ended up with 52000 words. That's a little less than what I was hoping to have, but still, not bad. I took a small break and then got back at it and started revisions. So far I've added a few thousand words to chapter one and it seems a bit fuller. I think most of my holes are more towards the middle of the story. We'll see when I get there.

With any luck, I'll get a good part of the way through the revisions before my vacation is done. I'd like to have a polished manuscript before Christmas so I can start sending it off early January.

As I was finishing up the manuscript, I found myself writing a few threads that can lead to a follow up book for one of my secondary characters. I'm not going to start Beth's story until I go back and finish Perfect Match, my sci fi romance that I abandoned for NaNo. I don't want my other story to be completely forgotten. :)

My writing was more relaxed today, knowing I didn't have to worry about hitting a particular word count. The funny thing is I hit the target anyway. They say it takes 30 days to form a habbit. Maybe I've formed a few good writing ones as a result of NaNo. One can only hope.

5 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

I think I have definately formed a habit. I can't stop with typing, though you're right it's not as stressed for word counts. Congrats again.

Uisce said...

Congratulations! I know from painful personal experience that is a very, very significant accomplishment!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations. And still time to do the revisions.

Kelly Boyce said...

Congrats! I know when I did a book in a week for the first time it helped me form the habit of turning off the internal editor when I wrote. So I can imagine how well Nano would work for forming a habit in 30 days.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

That's great, Christine! Way to go! I'm really hoping to pursue the Fast Draft technique I used a couple of months ago for revisions and future books! Here's to forming good, productive writing habits!