Thursday, November 16, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #2


Thirteen Things I've learnedfrom TV shows


1. 24 - I've learned that the is nothing more powerful than a well done hook (and Jack Bauer).

2. Battlestar Galatica (new) - I've learned that it doesn't matter if your setting is in outer space, if you don't have a compelling story, you won't succeed (and trust me, they have a compelling story).

3. Stargate: SG1 - I've learned that subtly and humor are powerful writing tools when used effectively. (and MacGyver is still hot).

4. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - I've learning that there isn't a detail that is too small not to spend time on (and if you don't pick up on it, your readers certainly will).

5. Heroes - I've learned that even if you don't have a lot of plot, if your characters are interesting you're story won't fall flat (save the cheerleader).

6. Firefly - Take an old idea and place it in a completely new setting (cowboys in space - brilliant).

7. Dexter - That even your villain has an interesting story to tell. Let them tell it! (Damn the Drunk Writers board for this one - now I'm hooked).

8. Babylon 5 - Your story arc is important. Make sure you know where you are going so you can tie all the elements together (one of the best series endings ever).

9. Law & Order: Criminal Intent - Chemistry between your hero and heroin is key (love Vincent!)

10. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Never underestimate the power of a character's name (this show was brilliant for use of names).

11. Doctor Who - sometimes what starts off as a simple, or well used idea, can blossom into an amazing adventure with twists you never expected (new series is great fun)

12. Numbers - think outside the box (who ever thought math could be portrayed as cool).

13. Any soap opera known to man - when things start to get stale, add a twist (aliens, the devil, super heroes, they've done it all).





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



20 comments:

Debbie said...

do i detect a sci fi fan? nice list..

happy TT

Pete said...

Very inspiring and well thought out.

Barb said...

Great idea! Happy TT!

Sonny said...

Nice list! I didn't know that telly can be that profitably ;-)

Happy TT from Germany,
Sonny

Amy Ruttan said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that watches the Sci Fi Channel.

Happy TT

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Great list!
Good to see a fellow female scifi fan!

Caylynn said...

Great list! :) Wonderful idea for a T13. 2, 3, and 9 are among my favourite shows.

Happy T13. :)

Angela James said...

You listed some of my favorite shows!

Doctor Who, Battlestar, Buffy...

Unknown said...

Oh I've been a HUGE sci fi fan since I was a kid. I have many fond memories of watching Doctor Who on PBS Saturdays and thinking Tom Baker was the coolest person in the world. :)

Lindsey said...

I don't remember which Law and Order it is, but there is one where the two partners have no chemistry at all! And I LOVE Vincent!!!

Angela/SciFiChick said...

I couldn't get into Dr. Who, but seeing the original Star Wars as a child is what did it for me. Then, later, Star Trek:TNG. I was a total geek.

Julie Q. said...

Ah the educational merits of television. I LOVED the old Battlestar Galactica -- Starbuck was so adorable.

Jaci Burton said...

Great shows!

I miss Buffy *sniffle*

Crazy Fat Chick said...

Well thought out. As I read it, I started to think about both the shows I watch and the books I have read to see how they matched up. The great ones had many of these combined. And, Dexter, I LOVE Dexter.

Unknown said...

I miss Buffy too! I borrowed the series from a friend on DVD. I'm going to go out and buy it though. That and Firefly. :)

Shelli Stevens said...

Ah shoot! I didn't mean to sign up to do this :) Hee hee. Maybe I'll try later!

These are great. And I loved Firefly. Good stuff!

EHT said...

You have a wonderful, creative list. Thanks for visiting History Is Elementary...come back soon!

Michelle said...

Great idea for the theme! :-) Happy TT

Unknown said...

I wanted to thank everyone for stopping by! I hope to see you all again really soon. :)

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I commented yesteday on what a great list it was...and now my comment has disappeared...

So again...great list! ;) You're learning a lot from TV.