Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #3

I've been reading Stephen King's On Writing this week, and have been getting inspired. Reading the mini autobiography in the book was a real eye opened on the regular everyday events in our lives that can be a major influence on us as writers. In honor of reading his book, and in no particular order, my Thursday Thirteen this week will be...


Thirteen Things that have influenced me as a writer


1. Grade 2 Creative Writing- Okay so this was a very long time ago, but the little creative writing book my school pulled together had a big impact on me. It was the first time I saw my name in print, and the first review I ever received.

2. My husband - My husband has been supportive and encouraging over the years. When he realized my writing was no longer something I considered a hobby, and was becoming something more serious, he was there to help me out however he could. Without his support, I wouldn't be where I am today. When I write about that oohy love feeling, it's coming from my relationship with him. :)

3. Moving- I'd lived a very easy life in my routine before I moved. I was 27 and picked up and moved my family to another country. It gave me another whole set of experiences to draw on and some hardships to make me appreciate things.

4. TV Shows- When I was a kid I watched a lot of TV. I decided that I wanted to be a movie director. As a result I watched a lot of TV and movies trying to learn what I could. I grew to appreciate different types of stories and how they were told. I'm now ruined with some movies, because I can pick out the "clues" the writers leave to lead to their revelation moments, and figure things out before the end.

5. My Children- Anyone who had children knows the huge influence they have on your life. The impact on my writing is the fact that I want them to see me doing something that I love. I want them to make career decisions based on what they love, not what they think is proper.

6. Music- Like a lot of writers, I get asked where I come up with my ideas. A lot of the time, they are images and thoughts that pop into my head when I'm listening to music. I'll get a little internal music video playing and I can turn that into a story. Strange, but it works for me. :)

7. Stephen King- And not just because I'm reading his On Writing book. When I was 12 I put down my Sweet Valley High novel and picked up Christine. I was amazed at how clearly I could picture the things he wrote about. As a writer, I hope to someday reach that level and have the same descriptive magnifying glass he holds up in his novels.

8. Going Rappelling - Whenever I write about fear, I'm standing on the edge of a cliff, waiting to take that next step that will put me over the edge. I'm scared of heights, and to this day I'm not sure how I made it over the side. But I did - twice!

9. Going spelunking (caving)- If you ever have an opportunity to do this take it. I went with a group into a series of caves. We climbed so far back it was mind boggling. When the group leader had us turn off our head lamps, you couldn't see anything. It was the blackest dark I've ever experienced. Even though we were there as a group, I've never felt so alone and scared in my life. Things got better when the lights came on, but we were all a little shaken.

10. Competitive Swimming- When I was younger, I used to compete in swim meets. I was good for my age and won quite a bit. Whenever I need to write about a cocky character, I dip back into the summer when I cleaned up at every competition.

11. My Dad's Heart attack- Gut wrenching emotion. Dad was okay, but we weren't sure there for a while. The feeling when I got the phone call will stick with me forever.

12. Almost losing an academic scholarship- So the difference between a B+ and an A- almost cost me a full tuition scholarship. I was a woman possessed when I went after the professor (long story). Angry determination, that came from this moment. In the end, I won my case, got the grade, and kept the scholarship.

13. Happy Endings - I'm a firm believer that the world needs more happy endings. That's why I write Romance and not horror. We have enough bad things going on in the real world, it's nice to bring some joy.





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



13 comments:

DigiscrapMom said...

Great influences :) And you do write well!

Happy Thursday!

Unknown said...

A great list! Enjoy NaNoWriMo!

.•:*¨¨*:•Happy Thanksgiving•:*¨¨*:•.

from Germany,

S.

Amy Ruttan said...

That's a great thoughtful list. I'll be taking a look at your NaNo today!!!

Barb said...

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy TT!

Sonny said...

Excellent list!
Have a save and happy Thanksgiving!
Happy TT from Germany,
Sonny

http://sweetlikekitty.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Oooh this is a good list! Where did you move from? I love Nova Scotia

I haven't posted my 13 yet as I only just got the oldest off to school and the baby back down for a nap. Must have coffee first! :-)

Will come back and add my name to the list when I have it posted.

John Holland said...

A very interesting list. As a writer wanting to get published myself it was nice to see your influences. Has me thinking about some of mine. And I agree with you about Stephen King. His book On Writing is great!

My 13 was favorite concerts.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by everyone.

MG, I'm orginally from NB. I moved to Virgina Beach and lived there for a few years before moving to Ontario. We're now back in the Maritimes and loving NS. Nice to be home again.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Great list! And I heartily agree with #13! Happy Thanksgiving!

desert rat said...

Spelunking is very cool; I wish I could do it more often. I've got a bit of claustrophobia so I prefer the big caves you can walk into and out of. My two favourite cave experiences were in Venezuela and Ireland. The one in Ireland was a timed trip, because you had to get out before the tide came in again! Nerve wracking but fun.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Great list!! Steven King is one of my favorite authors. His books are so real to me. Happy Thanksgiving:)

Maureen McGowan said...

Great post, Christine!

I'm not a huge Stephen King fan as a reader... but am a huge fan as a writer after reading On Writing. It changed the way I thought about writing for sure.

EHT said...

Hi!

Love your list.....I posted about Thanksgiving misconceptions, but today I posted a regarding my grandmother and JFK and how their memories were very influential in my formative years.

I find my writing comes easier if I mix my love of history with my own family experiences.