Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Details


I'm not the most organized person in the world and miss a lot of the little details if I don't take care to write things down. I'm well aware of my deficiencies and work very hard to overcome them. But I'm still surprised how much detail I skipped over when I wrote my first draft of All Bottled Up.

Sad, sad, sad.

I'm working through chapter 8 right now and it's painful. I have my main character experiencing the genie's home for the first time and she barely comments on what she sees. She's in a genie's bottle!! I'd be gawking like a kid at a carnival. So why did I leave that out the first time around? The good thing is I'm cleaning it up and making it a richer experience (I hope). At this rate I'll be able to get through to the end of chapter 8 and start a new chapter to fill in another gap in the plot.

I guess that's why they say there's no such thing as a good writer, only a good rewriter.

3 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

I like sticky notes. I am always finding things to rewrite. Good luck with finishing Chapter 8 off, it'll be interesting to see what your character thinks of being inside a bottle.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I do this too. I stop to look at the picture in my head, and that slows down the flow for me, so for a fast draft or a big chunk of snap-back dialogue, I have to add details later also.

So much to do...

Kelly Boyce said...

When I was a kid, I wanted to live in the I Dream of Jeannie bottle. I thought that was an option when you grew up.