Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thursday Thirteen # 6

With all of my regular TV shows currently on break for Christmas, I thought I would post about some of my favorite Christmas Specials.


Thirteen Things holiday specials/movies I love.


1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Don't talk to me about the movie. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

2. Muppet Family Christmas. I used to love this one as a kid. When I saw it on TV last year I sat down with my daughters to watch it. I forgot that Jim Henson was actually in it. I cried. Couldn't explain it to my girls either.

3. A Christmas Story. I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

4. The Ref. I know, not your typical Christmas movie. But I love it and Dennis Leary is a scream.

5. A Christmas Carol. Patrick Stewart's version. I know there are many, many other versions, but I'm a sci fi fan remember.

6. Scrooged. Same story, but really funny. Bill Murry is great in this one.

7. Christmas Calendar. I'm not sure the actual name of this, but Teletoon in Canada does it every year. Each day they play a short 5 min story of what Santa does each day before Christmas before the big day. It's really cute.

8. Rudolf the Rednose Reindeer. It's a classic and looks a little dated, but I still love this one.

9. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. I know you'll want to argue that this is more of a Thanksgiving movie. But I always seem to watch it at Christmas. It's a fantastic movie that makes me laugh and cry.

10. A Charlie Brown Christmas. I haven't seen this one yet this year, but I'm hoping I haven't missed it. Who doesn't love Charlie Brown?

11. White Christmas. Not normally a movie I'd watch. A teacher I used to work with showed it to his class every December. I'm hooked now.

12. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. The tree!!

13. The Nightmare Before Christmas. The music is so amazing in this show. I'm debating letting my girls watch it this year. I think they may still be a bit young. We'll see. :)


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



18 comments:

Amy Ruttan said...

I love most of those (as you know), though I haven't seen the Calendar or the Ref ... and I haven't seen a listing for Charlie Brown's Christmas yet. That's why I buy them on DVD, my parents watched National Lampoon's on CBC the other day and they cut out a bunch of parts.

Love Tim Burton's Nightmare before Christmas ... it's good for both Halloween and Christmas.

Michelle said...

All great movies, now I wanna stay home and watch movies all weekend!

Happy TT!

I’m up!

Caylynn said...

Great list! My favourites on your list include #1, 2, 3, 5 (Patrick Stewart is the best!), 6, 8 and 10. The Muppets would be my absolute favourite.

Happy T13. :)

Darla said...

Oh, those are some good ones. I love all those old claymation ones, like Rudolph, Jack Frost, Frosty the Snowman... there are more, but I can't remember them all.

Barb said...

The Christmas Story is good over and over.

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Patrick Stewart... I love that version.. and I don't think I even own it!
Over Halloween, I bought his made-for-tv movie Canterville's Ghost though.. very cute.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I love #2 and #3 and haven't seen #13 yet! I'm also wondering if I should let my kids see it. Not having seen it myself, I'm not too sure. Now I wanna see what White Christmas is all about...

Michelle said...

ROFL - we obviously had the same idea!

Annie said...

Wonderful movies! I did something similar in my TT. So many great movies and shows out this time of year!

Happy TT!

Candy Minx said...

Yep, me too loving these!

We just watched The Grinch the other night, first seasonal movie this year.

I also would more or less classify Trains Planes and Automobiles as xmas too...and I don't know why, maybe because of the desperate holiday feelings. You're right this movie managed to bring crazy laughter( when they aretrapped between the oncoming traffic and trucks) and tears. Its one of the best buddy films ever.

I also like Home For The Holidays, which is also Thanksgiving but I associate it with winter too.

Tim Burton ROCKS!

Here's my list kind of about blogging actually:

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2006/12/comments-on-blogs.html

Amy The Black said...

Have you seen "Love, Actually"? It's another great holiday movie. The Muppet Christmas Carole is another!

Rashenbo said...

Heh, I've never thought of the Ref as a Christmas movie... but it's a great flick. I just love Denis Leary. I'm really glad you didn't put "it's a wonderful life" on your list. I do NOT like that movie!

Cheers and happy Thursday!

suchprettycolors said...

great list! i love all of those, too, except #7, cause i don't know what it is. :-)

Uisce said...

Am i the only one around here that loves loves loves It's a Wonderful Life? Oh well, more of it for me! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks eveyone for stopping by today. I'm sorry I wasn't able to chat more, but it's been a crazy week at work. I need to go rent It's a Wonderful Life. I don't know why but I've never watched it.

Sparky Duck said...

The Ref is not one of your typical Xmas Movies, but in this house it is a classicg

Unknown said...

I love The Ref. I've felt Dennis Leary's frustration before. And it has one of the best opening sequences ever!

Trish Ess said...

I think Charlie Brown's Christmas is on this Sunday. :)

Great list!
Thanks for visiting my TT!