Sunday, January 28, 2007

Writing and Laundry


As strange as this may sound, I seem to do my best writing on the days that I have to do laundry. I'm not sure if it's because I have set periods of time to write (in between loads), or if my mind wanders more as I'm sorting, loading, and folding. Every week I seem to be able to get so much more written on Sunday's than I do any other day of the week.

I've always loved Sunday. It's very relaxing. We do a lot of different things as a family on Sundays and everyone seems more mellow than the other days of the week. And maybe that is the trick. Because I'm more relaxed, the creative side of me is better able to produce what I need it to.

So I'm officially dubbing Sunday my day to write. Which might completely jinx me, but I'm willing to take that chance. :) I may have to start doing the laundry more frequently if that happens.

4 comments:

Vicky said...

You'll have the best books and the cleanest clothes? LOL!

I love it! I don't know what helps open my mind to writing, but I hope it has nothing to do with cleaning! :) Eating chocolate sounds good!

Amy Ruttan said...

Laundry does relax me, but enough to write. Sundays are days I procrastinate the most.

Then again I often find myself procrastinating most days now.

Robyn Mills said...

Funny you should say that, I just put on a load of washing myself. Good luck with the editing, printing it out onto hardcopy works for me... but it is costive ink and paperwise. I have to remember to remove my old copy before I print off stuff that needs to be sent away or they get page 100 of my WIP...
I was putting up my Sunday post when you popped in.

Wylie Kinson said...

LOL - My first published short was written in my very first 'office', which was basically a desk between my washer and dryer. I could literally move the wet clothes over without taking my eyes off the screen!!
And the sound of the dryer was always very soothing -- like white noise, I guess...