Sunday, November 26, 2006

2006 Holiday Edition of Getting To Know Your Friends


MG Braden tagged me with the Holiday getting to know you. I have to say I love Christmas and wish things weren't so crazy around this time of year. You wanted to know, so here we go...

Your Name: Christine

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Most definately wrapped. Usually in special gold wrapping paper.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? colored

4. Do you hang mistletoe? God, I'd never get any sleep if I hung mistletoe. My husband would most likely move it so it hung over our bed. :)

5. When do you put your decorations up? I just can't seem to bring myself to put anything up before December 1. I do some decorating, but I don't go insane.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? I make a french toast bake every year. You take a loaf of french bread and cube it. Then add raisins and cubes of cream cheese. You then pour a mixture of eggs and maple syrup over it and put it in the fridge over night. Christmas morning, bake it and eat. Yummy!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: One year my family moved two weeks before Christmas. It was crazy busy, unpacking and putting up Christmas decorations. We didn't know anyone, so my whole family spent a lot of time together. It was my favorite Christmas.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I was seven. I walked into the kitchen one day after school, looked up at my mom and said, "There's no such thing as Santa. Is there?" There must have been something on my face, or in my voice, because my mom didn't even try and argue. She asked me to keep it quiet because my sister still believed. That Christmas was still cool, because it was like I'd been let in on the biggest secrete in the world, and it was up to me to keep things quite.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? As kids, we were usually able to talk my parents into letting us open one. As an adult, we don't put anything out until the kids go to bed. The surprised look on their face is wonderful

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Quickly. I sneak up on it tie it down with lights before dumping as many decorations on it as possible.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love the snow, hate the cold. Wish we could have one without the other. :)

12. Can you ice skate? Yes, but I don't get to very often. My husband can't skate, so I haven't gone in years. My children both want to learn, so I'll be getting back into it soon.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I've gotten a lot of wonderful gifts over the years. Three years ago, my husband bought me a necklace that I've wanted for years. It was a complete surprise and I've worn it pretty much everyday since then. That's probably my favorite.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Spending time with my family and baking cookies with my kids.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Plum pudding with my nanny's brown sugar sauce. *drool*

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? On Christmas eve, we always make oysters and scallops wrapped in bacon. I don't know why, but like MG, we eat a lot of appetizers that night.

17. What tops your tree? A fabric angel. I bought her the first Christmas I spent with my husband. The poor thing is a bit beat up now, but I still dig her up and put her on top.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? I LOVE giving. It's such a thrill to get the perfect gift and see the look on the other person's face when they open it. I usually try and surprise my husband. I've only suceeded a few times over the years.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Loreena McKennitt has a Christmas CD called, To Drive the Cold Winter Away. On it is a song called Snow. I could listen to that over and over.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Yumm! But I like Chicken Bones better. :)

Okay, so Amy, Alyssa, Maureen, and Kelly consider yourselves tagged!!

3 comments:

Wylie Kinson said...

Enjoyed your list, Christine!
I don't like decorating before December, either. I'm in no particular hurry to rush winter...

Pete said...

I love your style for decorating your tree. It's so similar to how we get our tree at Christmas. First you need to spot the tree before it sees you. Then you need to craftfully sneek up on the tree. Quickly dive under the tree and take it down by the base before it knows what hit it. After you hog-tie the trunk, you can leisurely drag the trophy home. It'll put up a fight at the door refusing to be brought in but with determination and persistance you can coax it in and get a leg clamp on it so that it stays. Sometimes it is necessary to tie it down with strings of lights to keep it put. You should tie some bells and other noisy or shiny trinkets on it so that you will be warned if it tries to get away.

Kelly Boyce said...

Ooohhh goody, now I have something to blog about tomorrow.