Sunday, December 10, 2006

TBR Challenge - Review of Dishing It Out



Yesterday I managed to get through to the end of Chapter 4 with my revisions. Even with cutting five pages at the end of chapter one, I'm back up over 60k for a word count. My end goal is to try and come as close as I can to 80k. Still a lot of work for me, but I know where I need to fill some holes, and I plan on scraping the last chapter and completely rewriting it. With those changes I should get pretty close.

I'm also taking part in Angela James December TBR Challenge. I have a lot of books that have been piling up for me to read since my move back in July. With the change in location, pressures of a new job, and everything else, I haven't been reading a lot until recently. So when I saw Angela's challenge I thought, "Why not?".

After picking through the stack of unread books on my shelf, I came across Molly O'Keefe's Dishing It Out (Harlequin Flipside, April 2005). I feel more than a bit guilty that I haven't read any of Molly's books before now. I worked with her this past year on the Toronto Romance Writers executive, and won this book in a raffle back in May (I actually pumped in quite a few tickets so I could win this). I'd heard wonderful things about the story and was quite anxious to read it. Plus there was bubble bath in the same basket. Who could ask for anything more!

But then I moved and her book got packed with everything else. Needless to say it was my first choice for the To Be Read challenge.

The cover sets the story off on the right food..er I mean foot. It's fun and sexy, and so is the story. It's really too bad the Flipside line didn't take off. The line was a perfect fit for Molly's style of writing. Her writing is as funny and witty as she is in person.

As for the story itself, I devoured it in two sittings. I'm not normally a Harlequin girl, but I would make a point of buying any of Molly's books in the future. Set in the high stress world of gourmet restaurants and cooking shows, Molly opens the kitchen door and lets her readers take a peek at the chaos in the kitchen. I always had a secret desire to work in a restaurant. But not if I have to get up at 3am to bake!

I loved both the main character Marie and Van. Ah Van. He could cook for me any day. Even with his bushy eyebrows. :)The characters were funny, flawed, but felt like friends. I wanted to reach out and both hug and shake Marie at times. Her pride and flaws made her very real. Someone I could see working behind the scenes of any restaurant. Van was a strong alpha, but with some wonderful quirks. Who'd think he'd get stage fright! Perfect.

Dishing It Out is a keeper for me. I laughed out loud more than once, and for me that makes for a great book. If you find a copy of Dishing It Out, I suggest you grab it and enjoy it with a box of chocolates. :)

7 comments:

Wylie Kinson said...

Yup - that Molly tells a good tale! I'm with you on not being a typical Harlequin gal, but I read 'Family at Stake'and LOVED IT. Cried my eyes out! I've got the sequel on my Xmas list.

Amy Ruttan said...

I haven't read any of Molly's ... maybe I should add her to my ever growing TBR list. Like you gals I am not a Harlequin gal (unless history) but I find the odd author I like.

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Sounds cute.. I'll have to add it to the ever-growing library list..

Trish Ryan said...

Great recommendation - it's so cool when you read something that's even better than you thought it would be.

Molly O'Keefe said...

Wow -- see what happens when you don't get around to the blogs for a few days -- someone says something nice about you!! Thanks Christine -- I'm so glad you enjoyed Van and Marie. You made my day.

TRW had it's december social last weekend -- we missed you!!

Nicole said...

I reviewed this when it first came out and really enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

Molly, you are very welcome. I laughed out loud a few times, which isn't good at 12:30 am. I think I got a gentle shove from my husband for that one. :)