Thursday, December 07, 2006

Thursday Thirteen # 5

Good morning everyone!! I'm so tired right now I could crawl back into bed and stay there for the rest of the morning. However, I'm sitting at my desk at work getting ready for class. I read a great article on sleep yesterday and considering my current state, I thought I'd pick out what I thought were the thirteen most interesting facts about sleep.

If you like this list, please check out the source article here.


Thirteen Things about sleep.


1. The "natural alarm clock" which enables some people to wake up more or less when they want to is caused by a burst of the stress hormone adrenocorticotropin. Researchers say this reflects an unconscious anticipation of the stress of waking up. (I love/hate this. The only thing worse than waking up before your alarm, is not waking up before your alarm.)

2. Some studies suggest women need up to an hour's extra sleep a night compared to men, and not getting it may be one reason women are much more susceptible to depression than men. (Explains why I get grumpy when I'm trying to sleep and my husband is feeling frisky.)

3. A night on the grog will help you get to sleep but it will be a light slumber and you won't dream much. (A night on the grog?? Great expression. Sounds better than drunk, hammered, plastered, completely pissed out of my mind...you get the idea)

4. In insomnia following bereavement, sleeping pills can disrupt grieving. (Good to know.)

5. Dreams may not serve any purpose at all but be merely a meaningless byproduct of two evolutionary adaptations - sleep and consciousness. (They serve a purpose. That's how I write my books!!)

6. Scientists have not been able to explain a 1998 study showing a bright light shone on the backs of human knees can reset the brain's sleep-wake clock. (Who the hell comes up with these studies? Come here Bob, I want to try something.)

7. One of the best predictors of insomnia later in life is the development of bad habits from having sleep disturbed by young children. (I'll back them up on this one. I haven't slept through the night in seven years.)

8. It's impossible to tell if someone is really awake without close medical supervision. People can take cat naps with their eyes open without even being aware of it. (This is very creepy. I think I may have been doing this yesterday.)

9. A new baby typically results in 400-750 hours lost sleep for parents in the first year. (Ah, that explains the delusions.)

10. Certain types of eye movements during REM sleep correspond to specific movements in dreams, suggesting at least part of the dreaming process is analagous to watching a film. (A pretty X rated film in my case. I love my heroes...and my husband of course.)

11. Seventeen hours of sustained wakefulness leads to a decrease in performance equivalent to a blood alcohol-level of 0.05%. (I'd rather drink than stay awake.)

12. Diaries from the pre-electric-light-globe Victorian era show adults slept nine to 10 hours a night with periods of rest changing with the seasons in line with sunrise and sunsets. (Smart people. I think we should revert to this practice.)

And last but not least....

13. Experts say one of the most alluring sleep distractions is the 24-hour accessibility of the internet. (We don't need experts. I could have told you that!!)


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



22 comments:

DigiscrapMom said...

Christine,

This is a very informative list for this week about sleep (that I'm lacking too). Thanks for sharing the information with us.

Happy Thursday!

Caylynn said...

Very informative list. :) REM sleep is SO important, as I found out through a sleep study. I can believe #2 and 12. I definitely need more sleep than my husband, and I function best on 9 hours of sleep.

Thanks for stopping by and have a good day! :)

Uisce said...

LOL, I think today's the first day in a week I didn't wake up before my alarm. The bad thing is that my alarm goes off at 4:30! :)

Darla said...

Oh, my favorite subject! If only I could get more of it... :)

#7: So it's my kids' fault. I'll have to think of some way they can make it up to me.

Amy Ruttan said...

Great list. I love sleep as well, and since my daughter was born I have not slept through the night. I still remember them taking her away to the nursery to let me have some sleep, they said they would bring her back in an hour, they didn't and I was up every hour on the hour, despite having labored and then going through surgery in a period of 48 hrs. Oh,I think I cat nap with my eyes open at work as well. ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this very informative TT! I learned a lot!


Happy TT from Germany,
S.

Sparky Duck said...

what a great list! And I second or maybe third #13

Annie said...

What an awesome list!!! Number 6 had me scratching my head. You're right! Who thinks up these studies?

Happy TT!

Angela/SciFiChick said...

too funny.. and scary when you think about how long doctors and nurses stay on duty..

Candy Minx said...

Oh no...I too am so tired and deprived of sleep I took ALL morning trying to do my TT list...and it got way out of hand.

Now after reading your list, I think I should go have a nap...but who has time?

I feel like I learned something thanks for a fun, and sleep teasing list...is it the time of year to be over tired? I didn't get much sleep the other night trying to appease the boyfriends family and friends over the holidays HELP but we worked it all out I think!!!

TopChamp said...

Yey! Extra hour sleep for me tonight then.

Good list!!

Cinnamon Girl said...

That is a really cool list, and thanks for sharing it!

Tink said...

That is a very interesting list. I'm definitely going to read the original article.
Thanks for visiting my TT about divination.

Wylie Kinson said...

Sleep? Sleep... sounds familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Michelle said...

These are great! Some made me laugh out loud. My baby is almost 9 months old and my oldest is 7. I've been losing a LOT of sleep. :-)

Great list Christine!

Norma said...

Everyone I know complains about sleep (less) as they age. So we can blame our kids? Nice to know.

Thanks for visiting my TT.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by today. I apprecate it. I hope you enjoyed the list, and I'll see you all again soon.

J-Dawg's Realm said...

Very nice blog! I stumbled upon it from another TT13er and thought I would stop and say HI! Have a great day, and stop by my neck of the woods sometime...and Nova Scotia? Home of my alltime favorite female singer -- Sarah McLachlan :)

J

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Very, very interesting, Christine.

I totally second your love/hate relationship with #1! On a night before I have to get up very early or at a precise time, I actually do wake up and check the clock about five to seven times. So of course I'm exhausted by the time the alarm clock does go off...

Unknown said...

I've been sleeping a lot lately. Chalked it up to recovering from a cold, but could just be that winter thing...

Maureen McGowan said...

6. Scientists have not been able to explain a 1998 study showing a bright light shone on the backs of human knees can reset the brain's sleep-wake clock. (Who the hell comes up with these studies? Come here Bob, I want to try something.)

Can't stop laughing... Come here, Bob...

But seriously. How bright does the light have to be? Both knees? How long?
(confessions of a writer living geographically in the eastern time zone, but whose sleep-wake up clock is perpetually set on Hawaian time.)

kris said...

Interesting! Maybe I should drink more often before sleep. My nightmares make me feel like I haven't slept at all.