Thursday, December 28, 2006

Thursday Thirteen # 8

I know this will be a popular theme for the this week's Thursday Thirteen, but I wanted to get this written out. There's something "official" when you write your goals down for the upcoming year. I'm going to focus on my writing goals for 2007.


Thirteen Writing Goals for 2007!


1. To get published. Lets get the obvious one out of the way. :)
2. To write consistently every day for one hour. If I get more time then great, but I'm more concerned with actually setting a writing hour and sticking to it.
3. To read five writing craft books. No matter how good (or bad) I think I am at anything, there's always room for improvement. It's also a good way of keeping my mind fresh.
4. To read two new releases a month. As Stephen King said, writers need to do two things: write and read. It's important to see how other writers handle dialogue, settings, etc.
5. To finish the second draft of All Bottled Up.
6. To finish the second draft of Summer Theatre (novella).
7. To plot and finish the follow up manuscript to All Bottled Up.
8. To finish the first draft of Perfect Match.
9. If Ellora's Cave doesn't buy The Bond that Ties Us, to send out partials to at least three publishing houses.
10. To query at least three agents this year. This will be uncharted territory for me, so we'll see how I make out.
11. To send All Bottled Up to at least three publishers.
12. To send Summer Theatre to at least one publisher.
13. To blog at least five times a week.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



31 comments:

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Great list, Christine, and best of luck with all of them. I hope to query agents myself this year. Would you be interested in exchanging blog links?

Joely

Unknown said...

That would be awesome Joely! I'll add you today. We authors have to stick together. :)

Darla said...

Good luck accomplishing your goals! Hopefully, doing the rest of them will make #1 happen. :)

Amy Ruttan said...

Number One I think is on most writer's lists eh?

I have all body parts crossed. North Texas has extended their Great Expectations Contest (you can submit via email), they have an erotic category. I have a link on my blog.

Unknown said...

Best of luck on all your writing goals!

Not that you asked for them, but an excellent craft book is "Self-Editing for Fiction Writers" by Renni Browne and Dave King. It really helped me clean up my manuscripts.

And (yes I know, shameless self-promotion) I just started a Squidoo lens, Romance books and publishing of online resources to learn more about gossip and publishing in the romance industry. The best thing about the Squidoo lens is that proceeds will go to your favorite charity!

Caylynn said...

Good luck with your writing! I hope you accomplish your goals. :)

Chickadee said...

Reading writing books...I haven't done that yet but that sounds like a GREAT idea. As does the writing at least for an hour every day.

I'm working on 2 stories and I've hit a bit of writer's block...those 2 resolutions of yours spoke to me. Hmm.

My 13 are up. I moved my blog so this is my first 13 at my new digs!

D.R. Cootey said...

Number one is a fantastic goal. :) Good luck with that and keep us posted. Hope you have a Great New Year!

~Douglas


My Thursday Thirteen

Shannon said...

Best of luck with your goals.

Happy Thursday!

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Good luck with your list!
#1 is just a matter of time.. I hope it's this year, so I can add it to my Thursday 13 list for today! lol

Missy Frye said...

Great list! I hope to be published as well and your list has inspired me. There are several books out there that are worth reading but I personally like Janet Burroway's Writing Fiction: a Guide to Narrative Craft. I refer back to it constantly. If you want to talk about writing, join me at The Incurable Disease of Writing.

Annie said...

Great TT and I really hope that #1 comes true!!!

Unknown said...

Good luck with your writing! I hope you accomplish your goals, especially #!

Wishing you the best in 2007!

Leah said...

good luck...when you do get published, include me in your email list so I can go out and buy it at chapters.

All the best!

Norma said...

These are great goals--if you are a goal setter and not a problem solver. A problem solver would say, "In order to be published in 2007, I will ------- by Feb. 1, and ----------by April 1, and ----- by June 1. (Fill in the draft name, etc.)

I'm a problem solver and setting goals drives me crazy because they are too vague.

But which ever, it's a great idea to list them.

Wylie Kinson said...

I'm very inspired by your list, Christine, and may have to steal a few for my own list of goals!
BTW - you once asked me who I was refering to when I mentioned a 'Dream Publisher' in my blog... well it was EC -- so we're hitting the same market!! Good luck -- I'll keep my fingers crossed that we're on the same book tour ;D

Anonymous said...

Best of luck in accomplishing your goals! That's a great list. :)

Unknown said...

Norma, that's a great distinction you've made. I've never quite looked at goal setting vs problem solving. I'll have to take a step back and reevaluate my list. :)

Candy Minx said...

Your list is so focused that I am sure you will be abvle to accomplish your goals. I think the cross referenced goals are going to mutually support each other goal on your list...I think that looks very strong.

Best of luck to you and may all your dreams and wishes come true!

Here is my crazy list for today:

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2006/12/i-want-love-elton-john.html

Michelle said...

Great goals - I'll add a me too and just change the name of the ms's to mine! LOL :-)

Teena in Toronto said...

Good luck with your plans!

My TT13 is up :)

Barbara H. said...

What great goals!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Unknown said...

Your #13 is also my #13!

Scribbit said...

That's good that you've got goals. You have a fighting chance at accomplishing something then. Good luck.

dawn said...

Good luck accomplishing your goals! Looks looks like you're heading on the right path to achieve #1!

Happy TT

K said...

Good luck!! You can do it!

Uisce said...

Best of luck, I can't wait to see you on Amazon! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by everyone! I can't wait to hit the New Year running. :)

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Good luck! Those are some awesome goals! I need to work on my list, and you've given me some great ideas!

Tink said...

Good luck, great goals! Keep us posted when you are published.
Thanks for visiting my TT. All the best to you and yours for the new year!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Great, Christine! I added you today. My computer's been on the fritz all weekend but is running now!