Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Getting a website

The past week has been a flurry of emails back and forth between myself and Moonglade Designs. The amazingly wonderful M.L. is building me a website. I can't wait to show everyone what an awesome job she's done!

But it did bring a few things to light for me. Things that I hadn't considered before I went down this road. I didn't know the first thing about a web host and what they do. And that there are lots of people who can build a functional site, but will the visual appeal be what I want it to be. Present the image I want as an author.

I wanted a professional sleek look. I've been fortunate enough to see some really excellent websites from members of the various writers groups I belong to. This was my gauge. I wanted mine to be on that caliber.

My advice if you don't have a site and want to get one, is do your research. Get examples of sites you like. Then, go out and get at least three quotes from professionals. If you have family and friends offer to do the site for you, let them know that this is a business - your business. You want to have the best site possible, with the best image. If they don't have the skills to do that, don't feel bad saying "no thank you".

Once you've made your decision, don't second guess yourself. In the end you'll be happier.

7 comments:

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Or just save your money and do-it-yourself.. like I do. ;)
The only thing I pay for is a small monthly hosting fee.

Unknown said...

I wish I was as talented as you Angela. I love your site!

Wylie Kinson said...

Can't wait to see your site, Christine!
I did my own,... but I'm not that thrilled with it, so I don't publicize it. It's not really 'me'. You know what I mean??

Vicky said...

I can't wait to see your site Christine! :)

Vicky said...

By the way Christine...

Yay!!! On the 90%! :)

Amy Ruttan said...

I can't wait to see your site. Like Wylie, I'm not crazy about mine. It's free other than I bought the domain name and the hosting, so that's taken care of. When I sell a book I'll be going to a designer to get them to set up one that reflects me on my domain.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I'm excited to see your new site, Christine. I do my sites too, but I'm thinking I need a more professional look and am hoping to update things this year...(it's one of my resolutions).