Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Great Agent Search


One of my goals this year was to try and find an agent. I hadn't really planned on doing very much on that front until later on in the year. To be honest the prospect of sending out to agents was scarier than submitting to an editor. I'm not sure why. :)

However, as I'm approaching the end of my edits of All Bottled Up, my mind is debating what to do with the completed manuscript. I know I could submit it to a few publishers myself, but is that the best route for me at this time. After talking it over with my husband, I think I'm going to spend another week or so polishing it up, and then I'll try submitting to a few agents. EEK!

Now this means I need to do some homework. As this is completely virgin territory for me I want to make sure I'm making an informed decision. I'll be looking for someone who will want to be with me for the long haul. Someone who will be there to not only sell my book, but to help me build a career.

So tonight when I get home, I'm going to log onto to RWA site and start writing down some names. Then off to their sites and submission guidelines. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - good for you! Happy Agent Hunting (now to be known as HAH) :-)

Maureen McGowan said...

Good luck, Christine!

www.agentquery.com is a great source, too. I think it gets updated more often than the RWA site.

Amy Ruttan said...

Good luck agent hunting. I got the form rejection to an email query almost instantaneously. The thought of agent hunting freaks me out too. Maybe if this book gets taken I'll have a little more guts to try, because I do want to build a career not just sell one book.

Anonymous said...

agent hunting is always a nauseating, but exciting, experience.

Best of luck to you in your search!

Anonymous said...

Wondering how open agents are to representing e-published/small press authors.

If it's a strictly royalty gig, are agents still interested?

Thinking seriously of going down that publishing route yet I'm working with an agent (she hasn't signed me).

Unknown said...

I'm not sure Kim. The book that I'm going to submit wouldn't be targeted towards an epub. It's a bit longer and a different type of story. It still has some erotic elements, but more of a paranormal. We'll see if I get any nibbles.

Vicky said...

A writer's work is never done. I fear agents. I once read an interview where and agent said... We don't have claws and we don't bite! I wanted to scream... Oh yeah, prove it! ;)

Good luck Christine!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! This should be an interesting experience.

That is a great site Maureen. Once I get my daughter home from Sparks I'm going to start digging through it.