Thursday, January 18, 2007

Thursday Thirteen # 11

I arrived back home last night at 10 pm from a business trip. For the most part it was a great trip and I had a wonderful time. So this week's Thursday Thirteen is about...


Thirteen Things About Christine's Business Trip


1. Toronto Romance Writers January meeting. This was awesome because I got to tell everyone in person that I sold my book. Not only that, I was able to meet fellow blogger Amy face to face (and yes we look different from our pictures) and meet a new blogger friend Vicky. I'll be posting pictures tonight.

2. Margaret Moore. Now that I'm home I'll have some more time to talk about Margaret's presentation Saturday. Not only did she remind me of the fundamentals of romance writing, she got me psyched up and ready to write again. Needless to say, she was amazing.

3. Meet old friends. I was able to catch up with a number of my friends from Waterloo, and was even able to have drinks with my critique partner Sue. The weather put a bit of a damper on my visits though and I wasn't able to see everyone for as long as I wanted. I'll have to plan better next time I'm up.

4. Time to edit. Sitting in my hotel room gave me an opportunity to get some serious editing done on All Bottled Up. I only have four more chapters to go and then I get to start round three of edits. That won't take nearly as long though. And then off to the publisher...

5. Missed my family. The hardest part of going away for business is being away from my family. By Wednesday morning I was pretty lonely and couldn't wait to get home that night. Traveling alone is...well, lonely.

6. Eragon. I found out long ago I can't write on the airplane. However, I was able to get a start on reading Eragon. Amazing book written by an amazing young man. I'm half way through and can't wait to finish it.

7. Eating out. My girls thought that I would love eating out every meal when I'm away. I hate it. I have a very sensitive stomach, and restaurant food kills me. Once in a while I'm fine. Every meal of every day...blah.

8. Sleep. I switched time zones which messed up my sleep pattern a bit. Not only that, I don't sleep well in hotel beds. They suck pretty much. So I died when I got home last night and was able to crawl into my comfy bed. Plus my husband was there - bonus!

9. Observations. It's funny how things look different to you when you're traveling. I constantly found myself watching people and things with new eyes. I'm not sure if this was because of the sleep deprivation, or because I'd been away for seven months, but everything looks different in that wow cool kind of way. It got me thinking about my setting in my story and the fact I was missing some of those types of reactions from my characters. I'll be layering those in during the next round of edits.

10. Elevators. I hate them. Whenever possible I take the stares. Elevators in hotels are the worst.

11. Eating Alone. Very depressing thing and I'm glad I didn't have to do it on this trip.

12. People who kick the airplane seat directly in front of them. Whoever you were - you suck.

13. Coming home. Being away makes you appreciate the things you have. I'm glad I'm back.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Post a Comment